Monday, June 27, 2011

Tea Cozy

Yet another post to fill out my small world :-)  I was bored on Saturday afternoon and wanted to do something constructive.  As I drink a lot of tea (my definition of "a cup of tea" is actually a mug of tea.  Therefore, when I drink a few cups I'm actually drinking a whole pot) I often find that my tea will get cold before I finish it.  To solve this problem, I decided to make a tea cozy.  After browsing the internet for ideas I discovered that there are roughly two different types of cozy's: One that sits over the pot like a cover, and one that fits the pot like a glove.  Here is one that's like a cover:
While not ugly, I thought it was rather inelegant, and I like the second kind much better.
So I found some fabric scraps I liked and started designing.  Here is my beautiful tea pot with my chosen fabric.  A small crow about my pot: I was given it for christmas by my wonderful sister Sarah and have loved it ever since.  It holds about four mugs of tea (around six cups) but I usually fill to three mugs.  
After some trial and error, I was able to cut out and baste together a draft.
I cut out two layers of batting and quilted it on all the pieces. 
 When I sewed it together, it didn't fit perfectly, but well enough to work.  
I discovered at this point that I needed to put panel underneath the handle to keep in warmth.  I had quite an adventure with button holes.  My sewing machine has a button hole setting but it took a good half hour before I figured out how to use it and even longer to get a decent button hole.  I did find a really cute button that looks like a propellor (at least to me) but I only had one, so the buttons are mismatched. 
Isn't it cute!!!  Pretty good for a few hours work.  And it looks good with the antique china, a sure sign of success.  

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! This is what all your fans wanted!!... :-)

    You might try shrinking the size of the photos before you post them, however. They are so big that they take a long time to load on even a decent connection-- they will be unusable on a slow DSL. This won't affect how they look in any way- just make them load faster. Ask Sarah or me if you need more info.

    Love, Da

    ReplyDelete